Sunday, July 09, 2006

Ginny Owens

Looking for some quality Christian music to satisfy your listening pleasure? Then check out contemporary Christian artist Ginny Owens. Tho' she has about 6 albums out, my favorite is Without Condition. Whether singing her own rendition of the traditional hymn "Be Thou My Vision" or belting out the lyrics to a gritty "Symbol of a Lost Cause", you're sure to love every track on this record. I'm known for having 'remote control' tendencies when it comes to listening to music; never listen to an entire CD -- skip around so much sometimes I don't even finish one song. But this record is different. Here's what one reviewer said:

"Ginny Owens is a rare find in the Christian Music industry. Blinded since a very young age, Owens could have taken a bitter view of God*, yet she didn't, and am I thankful for that. Owens is one of those artists who can dig deep into my soul and say exactly what I am thinking without having ever met her. Taking on the piano as her major tool for writing, Owens sings with such simplicity and ease, like she knows what she's talking about. The CD starts off with an accapella version of "Be Thou My Vision", which is beautiful yet haunting at the same time. The next track on the CD..."I Wanna Be Moved" is one of those songs I was talking about earlier, one that says exactly what I am thinking at the right time. The song is an edgy rock-influenced song speaking of how Owens doesn't "want to be a flame", but rather she wants to be a "raging fire". This is just a small taste of what is to come. While Ginny does a great job on the edgy stuff, she really shows her songwriting muscles on her ballads. Songs like "I Am Nothing", "Someone Searching" and "If You Want Me To" truly show her desire to live a life that is holy and blameless before Christ... "Own Me"...[is a] beautiful, subtle song about how she prays God will take complete control of her life, mold her, break her, and heal her. I highly recommend this album..."

My sentiments exactly.




*Ginny went to college to become a music teacher, only to be frustrated by potential employers who saw only her blindness rather than her gifts. While playing the piano alone, someone walked in unbeknownedst to her, heard her, was blown away, and offered her a record deal. Ginny then shifted her aspirations, and I'm so glad she did.

No comments: