Saturday, June 16, 2007

Excitement

Okay, so it is 12:40am (guess it's Saturday) and I am up revamping the tentative daily staff schedule to include two weekdays of extended day for staff development. Wow! My excitement about the start of the school year's really starting to build. And it's a good thing, too, because I have tons of work to do, many miles to go, before I sleep.

I am 'stoked' as they say about having our families come together and create our core values, and having our staff do the same and create our mission statement. I am so looking forward to the team building part of getting to know staff and finding out what their backgrounds and talents are, and where I need to bring them greater support. Many of my families have called me asking when we are meeting next and declaring their support and how excited they are as well. I know this is the honeymoon stage, but it's good to have a nice honeymoon....

I love the time spent with my AP because we are so much on the same page. I worry about being an experienced enough leader for her. I guess all I can do is be myself and lead the way I would want people to do me. And pray like young Solomon did for God's wisdom to lead the people entrusted to me. I love the teachers I have on board as well. I feel they complement each other well, they are good teachers (sound), and they have a love for students and families and are open to growing. I can't wait until next year when we have residents; I feel having teachers in training will add to the excitement and raise the bar of professionalism, though I think this group of staff are already professionals in every sense of the word.

Again, I know our flaws (mine included) will begin to show the more we are around each other, and I know that we will have our conflicts and our ups and downs, but I am really looking forward to this new school start. I believe the people, systems, structures, and support we have in place are all designed to bring to bear a tremendous PUSH for our students to succeed. I know as Sims puts it all the time, this thing is a marathon and not a sprint, but I believe we can look forward to some real gains this school year in our students HOLISTICALLY.

I'm gonna end with this Scripture from the Old Testament. I've been thinking about it a lot lately over the past two weeks. It was the basis for my personal mission statement when I was going through my stuff at Circle. I barely revisited it last year during my principal internship, but now it is resurrecting in my thoughts (coming back up in my spirit, as my charismatic, Pentecostal friends would say.) Here goes...

"Now these are the last words of David. David the son of Jesse declares, the man who was raised on high declares, the anointed of the God of Jacob, and the sweet psalmist of Israel:

The Spirit of the LORD spoke by me, and His word was on my tongue. The God of Israel said, the Rock of Israel spoke to me,

He who rules over men righteously, who rules in the fear of God, is as the light of the morning when the sun rises, a morning without clouds, when the tender grass springs out of the earth, through sunshine after rain.

Truly is not my house so with God? For He has made an everlasting covenant with me, ordered in all things, and secured; for all my salvation and all my desire, will He not indeed make it grow?"
--II Samuel 23:1 to 5

This passage is followed by a touching story of David's mighty men (the same ragamuffin crew that earlier in his leadership were in distress, in debt, and discontented - see I Samuel 22:1-2). At the end of his career, David had garnered such loyalty from his crew that when he was in the midst of battle, craving water from his city of Bethlehem, his men risked their lives to push through enemy lines and retrieve water for David from a well in his hometown. Even more poignant was David's response to these men's loyalty and care: David poured the water on the ground as an offering to God, refusing to drink the precious water for which his comrades risked their lives. What mutual care and protection! I aspire to be the kind of leader who inspires such motivated action and loyalty and care from those I lead.

Hence, my personal mission statement. Wanna hear it, here it go....

I want to live with God's glory* as the controlling desire of my heart.

I want to fully and mutually engage with loved ones (face to face/heart to heart), discovering what matters to them and working towards what's good for them.

I want to work with and manage people as God's agent, doing the best for them and inspiring the best from them.

I want to have a redeeming impact on others, helping to cultivate what God has placed in them.

*to express God's supreme worth and glorious nature and deeds to others, by word and deed

No comments: