Sunday, March 02, 2008

Female Leadership

Okay, so I've been thinking a lot lately about leadership, about how lonely and how hard it is, yet how absolutely critical it is to the success of any organization or group or enterprise. Both for myself and for work, I've renewed my focus on God and on my personal mission statement (the latter of which has a heavy leadership component). But I have been thinking about something (sorry for the rambling)...

Is there a gender bias with respect to what's acceptable in leadership? Do people accept a male leader who is firm and more autocratic than they do a female leader with the same qualities? Do people expect women leaders to be more nurturing and collaborative and such? Just some thoughts...

1 comment:

Erika said...

I think women have to strike a balance between being tough and being personable. I guess that's unfortunate because men don't have to do the same, but most of the best leaders I've come into contact with have been women. I think that's because they're more personable. Women tend to be more detail-oriented. They can see the big picture, but they can break it down as well. They see the organization/enterprise as a whole unit, but they also see the individuals that make up that unit. I think that's a strength not a weakness.