Thursday, March 20, 2008

A Smile

So I was on this flight home from New Orleans (work conference), sitting between this grouchy teenage-looking, bi-racial-looking young man on my right and this over-middle-age white woman on my left. So I started reading the many magazines I'd bought before boarding. The white woman had to use the bathroom at one point and, afraid of disturbing the obviously irritated young man (whose eyes were closed and whose earphones were on), she intimated that at some point in the flight she might have to get up. Annoyed at the young man's attitude, I volunteered to be the 'bad cop' and awaken him. In return, when she got back from the lav, the white woman struck up a conversation with me. She mostly talked; I mostly listened. And what she shared put a big smile on my face...

Turns out this woman was a Methodist from Reno, who'd spent the past week with around 30 or so of her church members, helping renovate three homes in N.O. This woman shared her experiences and seemed genuinely interested in helping out ordinary folks whose lives were devastated due to Katrina over 3 years ago. As if this wasn't enough good news to me, the woman then shared how amazed she was to find a total of about 600 Methodists from all over who'd volunteered their time as well. There were others, too -- the 20 college kids using their spring break to lend a hand, and the two Christian women from another denomination who relocated to N.O. to coordinate the volunteer efforts of the Reno woman and many others.

Well, I was simply amazed and ecstatic at how these people of God have 'stepped up' (sorry about the cliche) and heeded God's command, or better yet, reflected the heart of God, in aiding those in need. And without any fanfare or publicity or anything like that. Truly awesome! Though I am still saddened that it's three years after The Storm and folks are still not made whole in terms of living conditions, I am grateful for God's folks doing His work. And before we landed, this woman and I were talking about how wonderful it would be to bring a group of my school students to N.O. for a week in the summer..... Hmmm.....

No comments: