Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Two Is Better Than One

Okay, so I am a certified introvert. Could probably win the Couch Potato Award of the Year. My idea of a lovely Sunday afternoon is coming home from church, sitting on the couch with lunch, and watching a Columbo episode. Better yet, follow that up with a Law and Order marathon.

My sister gave me an official diagnosis years ago when we lived together (we lived together for nine years when I first graduated from college). She told me that when it comes to her, she derives energy from being around people. She is motivated and feels most alive when she is in the company of others. Occasionally she needs a break and will take a respite, 'shutting herself in' as she calls it. But not too much of that, or she will go crazy. I, on the other hand, am the opposite. Being by myself alone with my thoughts energizes me. Being with people drains me. I can take some of it for a while, but then I must go off and fill myself from the well of solitude.

Funny, then, how alive I felt today when I spent time 'collaborating' with my new co worker, an assistant principal who just came on board. We walked through our new building, looking at possibilities, at what can be, in that space to motivate students. We shared ideas about school routines that will build positive culture. And we planned great things for tomorrow's family meeting. Wow! When we share like that, time seems to fly. We even shared tales of sexual discrimination, how at times our leadership is not taken as seriously by people (men), and we have to prove we are not sex objects. (The last topic of conversation resulted from earlier that day when I introduced her to a staff person, who said, "Wow, we have some young meat coming on board." Can you believe that? And this is 2007.) We also discussed potential bumps in the road we see down the line, but resolved to work, together, for our students' good.

The Bible says that 'two are better than one, for they have greater reward for their labor' (somewhere in Ecclesiastes). I believe it was Solomon who noted the warmth that comes from having a thought partner, and the practicality as well (the 'greater reward' mentioned earlier, plus the support when one of you is down).

This week in my quiet times I've been studying the life of Daniel, and I'm reminded today that he had three friends his age (Shad, Mesh, and Abed). I'm sure having their support made it easier for him to stand tall in a culture that was very foreign to him.

As collaborative as I like to think I am, I really do prefer the company of myself (natural bent). But even I, introvert exhibit A, am enriched tremendously when I have a partner in the game.

No comments: