Monday, April 09, 2007

I Dream A School

For a little over a week now, I have not been able to get out of my mind a conversation I had with a young girl at our youth retreat. She doesn't go to our church, so this was my first time meeting her. A sophomore, she commented how she does not like to go to school. When I inquired why, she proceeded to point to the huge scar on the side of her face.

This teenager then told me about how she was cut in the face by a girl who goes to her school, and how the scar looks much better because it was much bigger. When I asked what happened to the girl, I was told she was allowed back into the school, and cut another girl in her throat. The fear that this sophomore has of being a victim of violence is a harsh reality, and it's keeping her from having a normal high school experience.

Just so happens that at this retreat, I had in my pocket a newspaper clipping of her high school (not knowing it was hers when I put the article in my pocket). Her school was in the paper for two incidents where students were shot in the school parking lot -- two times this school year. I clipped the article because I visited the school twice to see a teacher there, and I thought of how I could've easily been a victim of violence intended for someone else.

The sad reality is that this situation is not unique. Incidents of violence like this occur all the time in inner city high schools. When discussing this situation with a youth worker later at the retreat, he recounted how his brother was 'shot up' very badly at his high school, and returned.

What is going on in our schools? I dream a school where students will be able to learn in a safe environment. I dream a school where youngsters will be able to focus on their studies, on fostering healthy relationships with one another, and on dreaming about and planning for their bright futures.

I dream a school...

No comments: