Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Of Imus and School Violence

Okay, so you can already tell that this entry will be a little scattered in topic.

Well, I must say the decision to pull the plug on Imus' radio show was music to my ears. Not that I make it a habit of relishing in another person's trials, but I was ecstatic to see the issues of racism and sexism taken seriously for a change. However, I cannot fully rejoice because I feel MSNBC (my opinion) only axed Imus in order to woo sponsors back. How convenient that Imus' firing came after Proctor and Gamble, Staple's, GM, and others pulled their ads from NBC over Imus' remarks. Don't know whether to rejoice or fume...

Oh, and I was deeply saddened to hear that, after my blog on school violence a few days ago, the next day there was another school shooting (two students shot in one incident) at the same school I talked about in my blog before. Though I was pleased to learn this shooting was accidental (a student brought a gun to school and accidentally it went off and shot another student in the thigh and the bullet richocheted and caught the shooter, I think), I was still gloomy over the fact that the student could get the gun into the building in the first place. I am not surprised, though, because on two different occasions I visited the school to see a teacher, and both times I entered an open door that had no security guard (not the front door), and never in the building did anyone ask me (or a colleague who also visited) what we were there for (even though we stayed for over an hour each time). Not safe at all....

No comments: