Friday, April 06, 2007

Why I Love Hip Hop

Okay, so I could write all day on this matter, but I'm going to just focus on one reason right now:

Hip hop is the voice of the masses; it is the language of the streets. Like it or lump it, hip hop is a major vehicle through which common folks get to have their say -- to let their voice be heard. Granted, sometimes the voice is angry, sometimes it's materialistic and misogynistic (hope I spelled that right), and sometimes it is downright selfish and unbiblical. At other times that voice is insightful, poignant, compassionate, and powerful. Either way, it's still the voice of the people.

Like other music and art forms, hip hop expresses the sentiments of the day; it exposes the philosophies and belief systems of many people of its time. This is what is meant when you hear rappers defend themselves against criticism, simply stating that they are "keeping it real", writing about reality and what they see, being honest, and reflecting society. Though I disagree that mirroring the age is the primary duty of artists, on one level I see their point. Wanna know what common folks of our day value and believe? Listen to their poets, hip hop artists.

This does not mean I blindly accept or support hip hop (culture) in its totality. No, like other cultures, I am affirming of its positives and critical of its negatives and yes, today's hip hop is not all good. I can understand the concerns of those who bemoan lyrics that: 1) objectify women, 2) glorify criminal activities and immoral practices that land many of my people behind bars or unproductive, and 3) fail to use its mass appeal and influence to uplift the masses. However,I cannot listen to hip hop for long without its words resonating within my heart. When rappers point out injustices and hypocrisies and pains of human existence, people can 'feel' them; that is one of the main reasons rap is so popular.

Well, this post is too long already. I'm going to end with some Tupac and Biggie ("Running/Dyin' To Live") - words that encapsulate the frustration of many (not just poor Blacks):

"Why am I fighting to live, If I'm just living to fight?
Why am I trying to see, When there ain't nothing in sight?
Why am I trying to give, When no one gives me a try?
Why am I dying to live, If I'm just living to die?"

2 comments:

kmann said...

What do you think of these lyrics, from the kid we knew as Theo on the Cosby Show?
http://malcolm-jamalwarner.com/music-3.html

thaberean said...

Whassup, kmann --

Minus the profanity, I like Malcolm Jamal-Warner's lyrics in "Project Images". I agree w. his point about hip hop being powerful and influencing the public (check out my Imus blog). The power of hip hop is one of the reasons I love it so (its ability to speak to the masses). Its totally possible to respect an art form (and the those who produce and consume it), yet level a thoughtful critique against it as well. Here are some examples: I love "The Matrix", though I disagree with its Buddhist, Gnostic philosophical underpinnings. Frederick Douglass embraced Christianity, yet staunchly condemned the slaveholding Christians he encountered.

Too many folks can't do the same thing with hip hop. It's a culture, and like any culture (African-American, Western/American), it has its huge positives (freedom, independence of American society) and it has its problematic elements (hyper-individualism and materialism of the same). We don't condemn an entire culture, though. We speak clearly and boldly about what is good about, we do the same for what is bad about it, and we engage Christ in the culture.

Just some thoughts...