Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Good Night

Tonight was a good night. Though I wasn't particularly excited about the evening at first, particularly after a long day's work, I actually did something I haven't done in a long time: had an enjoyable night out.

So my boss, my big boss, offers me some tickets to see the Joffrey Ballet. I recognize the big name, but am not super thrilled. After all, the one and only time I've ever been to a ballet was a fiasco: My sister bought tickets for my mom (Mother's Day), all of us siblings, and her best friend Angie who was in town. We went to NYC, ate a big dinner at fine restaurant, and then went to the Alvin Ailey dance performance. Maybe it was the food, maybe it was the orchestra- like music, but most of us fell asleep, and my sister was pissed. So let's say ballet and I don't have that great a relationship.

What made the evening a little more interesting was a friend's suggestion to take a former middle school student who is a high school junior now and who loves ballet. Great idea, I thought, esp. since it'd give us a chance to catch up. Jennifer was excited, but I still wasn't. I thought the evening would be ultra boring.

From the opening movement, the evening was really a beautiful one. Enthralling, engaging, amazing, funny, lovely -- all describe the dancers and their moves, the lighting, even the music. I actually enjoyed the whole performance. And, of course, Jennifer and I had a chance to find out what's been happening in one another's lives, and that was just as fun, too.

And I made it home by 10:30. What a good night.

No comments: